MOLLE (which is an acronym most people don’t realize – Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment) bags are a popular option for emergency bags, but whether or not they are the “best” option depends on your specific needs and preferences. They come in a wide variety of options, configurations and webbing amounts, and some of it will simply come down to personal preference.
Here are some reasons why MOLLE bags are a good choice for emergency bags:
- Customizable: MOLLE bags feature a system of webbing and straps that allow you to attach or remove pouches, holsters, and other accessories as needed. This means you can customize your bag to meet your specific needs and preferences.
- Durable: MOLLE bags are typically made from tough, water-resistant materials that can withstand harsh outdoor conditions and heavy use.
- Versatile: MOLLE bags come in a range of sizes and styles, from small backpacks to large duffel bags. This means you can choose a bag that is the right size and shape for your specific needs.
- Easy to access: MOLLE bags feature multiple compartments and pockets that allow you to organize your gear for quick and easy access.
- Comfortable: Many MOLLE bags are designed with padded shoulder straps, waist belts, and other features that help distribute weight evenly and reduce strain on your back and shoulders.
However, there are also some potential drawbacks to using a MOLLE bag. For example, they can be more expensive than other types of bags (especially the quality ones), and the webbing and straps can be confusing or overwhelming for some users. Additionally, the modular design can make the bag bulky and heavy if you add too many accessories or pouches.
Ultimately, the best bag for your emergency kit will depend on your individual needs, preferences, and budget. It is important to consider the size, weight, durability, and organizational features of the bag, as well as any accessories or pouches that you may need to attach. They are made by many different companies, both high end and low end, so you are likely to find a pack and configuration that works for you, if you prefer a MOLLE bag.
In terms of popularity, though, many people prefer the flexibility and popularity of the MOLLE style bags over a traditional backpack or hiking pack.