Question: What items should I try and have extras of for trading.
It is kind of a tough call, because ideally you will want to keep everything you have, but even the best preppers will end up running low on something important. In a survival situation, there will always be supplies you can trade in an emergency if there is something you absolutely need. Here is a list of items (other than food) that will become a hot commodity in a TEOTWAWKI situation. While some items I would not trade unless absolutely neccessary (such as medication) they can be used to buy things you may need more.
- liquor / beer
- disposible diapers (water to clean cloth diapers can be an issue, not to mention fecal contamination)
- Tylenol/Advil/pain medications
- Allergy medication
- Clothing (especially winter clothing in cooler climates)
- Gardening supplies
- Non-powered transportation (bikes, wagons, carts)
- Firearms (only trade as a last resort unless you stockpile excess specifically for trading purposes)